Problem properties

Problem properties, whether occupied or vacant, have a negative impact on those who live or work there, and on the surrounding community. 

Problem properties include buildings that have frequent or recurring violations, and may:
•    Have a history of neglect and disrepair
•    Pose health and public safety issues
•    Be at higher risk for fires

Learn about vacant buildings

Report a concern

You can request an inspection, or report maintenance concerns by contacting 311


If an inspection is needed based on the reported issue, we will complete it within 10 days of receiving the request.

An inspector may contact you for more information, or to schedule an inspection. An inspection appointment is not always required.

The inspector will provide a summary of what was found during the inspection to the property owner. This is typically done through a deficiency order.


The deficiency order will outline what needs to be corrected, under which applicable bylaw, and how much time the property owner has to address the issue, otherwise known as a compliance date.

Penalties and fines can be issued if the property owner is non-compliant with City orders.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.