Winnipeg’s urban forest does a lot for the people of Winnipeg. It provides shade. It improves the health of people, plants, and animals. And it supports ecological viability.
What we’re doing
We are planting trees strategically and growing the urban forest through our Home Grown tree planting program.
This program focuses on:
- Reforestation, or replacing trees lost to disease, age, extreme weather, and other causes
- Planting new trees in community spaces like parks, boulevards, and greenspaces
- Making the tree canopy denser in natural areas like forests and along riverbanks
- Developing special projects and partnerships that will lead to more trees being planted
- And supporting Winnipeggers in growing the urban forest
We use the right tree, right place concept when planning our planting projects. Right tree, right place gives new trees get the best chance at successful growth and a long lifespan.
What you can do
Winnipeggers just like you can get involved in our urban forest in three primary ways: