The City of Winnipeg Charter requires that a general election for members of Council be held on the fourth Wednesday of October every four years.
Mayor & Councillors
The Mayor is elected at large and one City Councillor is elected from each of the 15 wards in the City of Winnipeg. Eligible voters in the City of Winnipeg are entitled to cast one vote for the Office of Mayor and one vote for the Office of City Councillor in their respective wards.
In addition to conducting the election for Mayor and Councillors, the City Clerk’s Department runs elections for School Trustees on behalf of the following school divisions within the boundaries of the City of Winnipeg:
- Louis Riel School Division
- Pembina Trails School Division
- River East Transcona School Division
- St. James – Assiniboia School Division
- Seven Oaks School Division
- Winnipeg School Division
Each School Division is divided into a certain number of wards and more than one candidate may be elected to the Office of School Trustee for each ward.
On occasion, by-elections are called to fill vacancies for the Office of Mayor, Councillor or School Trustees. Provisions for by-elections are outlined in The City of Winnipeg Charter and The Municipal Councils and School Boards Elections Act.
- Municipal Councils and School Boards Elections Act
- The Public Schools Act
- Campaign Expenses and Contributions By-law
- Rebate of Election Contributions By-law
- Vote-Counting Machines By-law
- Neighbourhood Liveability By-law No. 1/2008 Part 4
- Winnipeg Zoning By-law No. 200/2006 Section 182(1)
- City Organization By-law
- The City of Winnipeg Charter