Wards & elections

Election services

The City of Winnipeg Charter requires that a general election for members of Council be held on the fourth Wednesday of October every four years.

Mayor & Councillors

The Mayor is elected at large and one City Councillor is elected from each of the 15 wards in the City of Winnipeg. Eligible voters in the City of Winnipeg are entitled to cast one vote for the Office of Mayor and one vote for the Office of City Councillor in their respective wards.

School Trustees

In addition to conducting the election for Mayor and Councillors, the City Clerk’s Department runs elections for School Trustees on behalf of the following school divisions within the boundaries of the City of Winnipeg:

  • Louis Riel School Division
  • Pembina Trails School Division
  • River East Transcona School Division
  • St. James – Assiniboia School Division
  • Seven Oaks School Division
  • Winnipeg School Division

Each School Division is divided into a certain number of wards and more than one candidate may be elected to the Office of School Trustee for each ward.


On occasion, by-elections are called to fill vacancies for the Office of Mayor, Councillor or School Trustees. Provisions for by-elections are outlined in The City of Winnipeg Charter and The Municipal Councils and School Boards Elections Act.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.