Esplanade Riel and the Winnipeg sign are symbols of pride for Winnipeg and key pieces of our city’s skyline. The signature pieces have specialty lighting, and can be lit by request.
Esplanade Riel also has a 10-minute light show every hour, on the hour, from sunset until midnight. The last show runs from midnight until 12:10 a.m.
Calendar of special requests
We proactively fill the calendar to recognize large-scale public events, significant dates, and cultural celebrations.
If there is no special request for a date, Esplanade Riel and the Winnipeg sign will be lit in a variety of colours. This calendar is subject to change without notice.
Make a request
The specialty lighting is highly visible and a reflection of the entire City. Requests should reflect, celebrate, and build community spirit.
Applications must be submitted by not-for-profit organizations or must be community-oriented and support:
- An event or cause of national or international significance,
- A local festival or event that positively impacts local community spirit, or
- A local, national or international awareness issue that builds community.
Requests that do not merit public support, have a significant risk of polarizing the community, or are mainly personal, private, political, or commercial in nature will not be accepted.
City functions or large-scale public events may take priority over other requests. If there is an emergent event, any pre-programmed specialty lighting request may be pre-empted.
Applications must be submitted using the online form a minimum of three weeks before the requested lighting date.
- Requests are considered on a case-by-case, first come, first served basis.
- If you are requesting lighting on multiple dates, a separate form must be submitted for each date requested.
- Requests for next year are considered starting in November.
Please consult the Esplanade Riel and Winnipeg Sign Lighting Policy for more information.