Primary residence

A primary residence is defined as a dwelling unit that is:

  • Owned or rented by an individual, either alone or jointly with other individuals
  • Where the individual lives for the majority of the year

This includes bed-and-breakfasts offered within the owner’s residence.

An individual cannot have more than one primary residence. A primary residence cannot be owned by a partnership or corporation.

All short-term rentals must abide by the requirements for operation.

A primary residence may be rented as follows:

If the owner/principal tenant is in residence:

  • The maximum number of guest rooms that can be rented is one less than the number of bedrooms in the residence
  • Guest rooms in the residence can be rented for a maximum of 29 consecutive nights per booking
  • There is no limit on the number of nights that these guest rooms can be rented per year 

If the owner/principal tenant is not in residence:

  • The entire home can be rented 
  • The home can be rented for a maximum of 29 consecutive nights per booking
  • The home can be rented for a maximum of 150 nights per year

Application requirements

Please provide the following requirements with your Short-term rental accommodation licence application form.

  • If you are the owner of the property, a floor plan outlining the number of bedrooms and fire exits
  • You will need to provide two pieces of government-issued identification to show evidence of your principle residence (e.g. driver's licence or photo ID card issued by province or territory in Canada). Please note: the name used on your application must match your identification.
  • If you are not the owner of the property, a letter of approval giving you permission to operate a short-term rental
    • If you rent the property, a letter of permission/approval from the landlord
    • For condominiums, a letter of permission/approval from the condo board
  • Winnipeg Police Record Review
  • Police Vulnerable Sector Check with Criminal Record Check (PVSC)
    • Checks completed within the last 6 months are valid
    • Apply early to allow time for processing
  • Licence fee payment

Incomplete applications will be rejected or delayed. 


Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.