Short-term rental accommodations

Short-term rentals are temporary accommodations — such as a house, condominium, or apartment — rented for payment by a property owner or primary tenant for a continuous period of less than 30 nights. These properties are typically rented through online platforms such as Airbnb or Vrbo. They also include bed-and-breakfasts offered within the owner’s residence.

Effective April 1, 2024: You need a City of Winnipeg business licence to provide short-term rentals for compensation. This applies to operators and platforms.

Licences must be renewed annually. Operators require a separate licence for each individual short-term rental.

Apply now

On March 20, 2024 as part of the City of Winnipeg’s 2024 Operating Budget, City Council approved an increase to the Accommodation Tax rate from 5% to 6%. Starting April 1, short-term rental operators will need to collect this tax on all rentals. The tax is to be paid to the City quarterly with the first payment date being July 2024. More information will be provided on how to make payments.

Restrictions on short-term rentals

New short-term rentals owned after February 23, 2023 

Owners of new short-term rentals:

  • Must be permanent residents of the City of Winnipeg
  • Are limited to owning one short-term rental
  • Can only rent out their primary residence

New short-term rentals are not permitted in the following zoning districts:

  • Residential Mobile Home (RMH)
  • Rural Residential (RR2, RR5)

Search an address to find your property's zoning district.

Existing short-term rentals owned on or before February 23, 2023

Owners of existing short-term rentals must be:

  • A permanent resident of the City of Winnipeg, or
  • A corporation wholly owned by residents of the City of Winnipeg

If an existing short-term rental is owned by someone who does not live in Winnipeg, or by a corporation not owned by Winnipeg residents, it will not be permitted.

An individual owner can license up to four existing short-term rentals:

  • One primary residence
  • Up to three non-primary residences, provided they owned them on or before February 23, 2023

A partnership or corporation can license up to three existing short-term rentals, provided they owned them on or before February 23, 2023.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.