Non-primary residence

A non-primary residence is a dwelling unit that is not the operator’s primary residence.

Non-primary residences may only be operated as short-term rentals if the operator owned them on or before February 23, 2023.

All short-term rentals must abide by the requirements for operation.

A non-primary residence may be rented as follows:

  • Up to three non-primary residence short-term rentals can be operated by:
    • An individual who is a permanent resident of Winnipeg, or
    • A corporation/partnership wholly owned by Winnipeg residents 

The property must have been owned by the individual or corporation on or before February 23, 2023.

The short-term rental can be rented for a maximum of 29 consecutive nights per booking.

Non-primary residences have no restrictions on the number of nights per year that they can be rented.

Application requirements

Non-primary residences may only be operated as a short-term rental if they were owned on or before February 23, 2023.

Please provide the following requirements with your Short-term rental accommodation licence application form.

  • Safety plan, with a floor plan showing the location of all:
    • Smoke detectors
    • Carbon monoxide detectors
    • Fire extinguishers
    • Emergency exits
    • Bedrooms
  • If you are not the owner of the property, a letter of approval giving you permission to operate a short-term rental
    • If you rent the property, a letter of permission/approval from the landlord
    • For condominiums, a letter of permission/approval from the condo board
  • Contact information of an individual authorized by the owner to address legal issues and complaints
  • Winnipeg Police Record Review
  • Police Vulnerable Sector Check with Criminal Record Check (PVSC)
    • Checks completed within the last 6 months are valid
    • Apply early to allow time for processing
  • Licence fee payment

Incomplete applications will be rejected or delayed. 


Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.