Sale of public rights-of-way

Before the City of Winnipeg can sell part of a public street, lane, or walkway (right-of-way), it must remove its legal designation, by closing the right-of-way. 

If you want to close a right-of-way, submit:

  • a non-refundable application fee
  • a letter explaining why you want to close and buy the right-of-way
  • supporting documents

The proposal to close the right-of-way is sent to relevant City departments and public utilities. This process will identify any objections to the closing and conditions of the sale.

A report containing this feedback is considered by the appropriate Committee of Council at a public hearing. Notices announcing the date and location of the public hearing are posted in the relevant neighbourhood two weeks before the meeting. Members of the public wanting to make submissions, ask questions and register objections or support must complete a public representation form. Comments in the report, along with public feedback, are addressed by the Committee at the hearing. 

The Committee makes recommendations to the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, who will make a recommendation to Council.

If Council approves the closing, a City representative will begin negotiations with the buyer for the sale of the land.

The buyer is responsible for:

  • the cost to purchase the land
  • a plan of closing, and if necessary, a plan to facilitate consolidation with adjoining property, and a plan or plans of easement (all prepared by a Manitoba Land Surveyor)
  • any additional development application(s) deemed necessary
  • any documents required to ensure City Council’s conditions of approval are met
  • costs to register the plans and documents at the Winnipeg Land Titles Office
  • all other related costs

Once the agreement for purchasing the land is complete a bylaw passed by Council is required to legally close the right-of-way. This is done only after the plan of closing has been provided by the purchaser. The City handles bylaw preparation.

The last step in the process for the buyer is registration of all plans and documents with the Winnipeg Land Titles Office.


Real Estate Branch
2nd Floor - 65 Garry St.
Winnipeg, MB R3C 4K4

Please contact 311 for inquiries, or the staff member identified in the property listing. Meetings with staff are by appointment only.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.