Land acquisition & expropriation

The City of Winnipeg undertakes a wide range of projects every year to serve the needs of residents. Land may be needed to support OurWinnipeg 2045, the City's 25-year plan for strategic growth and development. 

The Real Estate Branch works with City departments to acquire land needed for City projects. We acquire land in two ways: an agreement with the owner (preferred method); or land is taken without the owner’s approval by expropriation (last resort). 

The Expropriation Act outlines the City's responsibilities and owner's rights during an expropriation. The Real Estate Branch negotiates with a land owner before any project moves forward.

Opposing an expropriation

If land is expropriated, the City informs the owner about how to oppose it through an inquiry hearing. The inquiry officer will write a report determining whether the expropriation was fair and reasonably necessary. City Council will review and decide on expropriation.

Completing an expropriation

The City may take all or part of an owner’s property, depending on project needs. There are several legal steps in the expropriation process. It can take several months before the City can legally ask an owner to leave their property.

The City must pay market value of the property, and the owner may negotiate the price. Real estate appraisers or lawyers often assist with negotiations. The City must also pay for reasonable costs related to the expropriation. If the City and owner cannot agree on a price, the expropriation can be settled by the Land Value Appraisal Commission.

Expropriation & construction concerns

Owners may worry about their property or property value when an expropriation happens. Owners are free to improve their property as they see fit. The City is obligated to consider all improvements made to a property when negotiating its market value.

If a property suffers damage during construction, the owner can make a claim against the City.


Real Estate Branch
2nd Floor - 65 Garry St.
Winnipeg, MB R3C 4K4

Please contact 311 for inquiries, or the staff member identified in the property listing. Meetings with staff are by appointment only.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.