Voter eligibility

Voter eligibility for School Trustee

To vote for School Trustee, you must be:

  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • 18 years of age or older on Election Day (June 6, 2024); and
  • an actual resident of the school division for a period of at least six months (since December 6, 2023) and
  • an actual resident in the school division ward on Election Day (June 6, 2024)

Non-residents do not have the right to vote for School Trustee.

A registered owner of land who does not reside in the School Division does not have the right to vote for School Trustee.

Determining residency of a voter

The following determines the residency of a voter:

  • voter is a resident of the place where they have their ordinary residence, and to which they intend to return when away from it
  • voter may be a resident of only one place at a time
  • voter does not change residence until they have a new residence

A person who leaves a municipality for temporary reasons is still considered a resident voter. For example, a student attending university or college outside the municipality, but who intends to return home after the term ends, is considered a resident voter.

A voter may vote only once in the same election, regardless of whether they own multiple properties.

For more detailed information regarding voting eligibility, please consult:

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.