What happens after all the yard waste is collected?

A look behind the scenes at how we recycle yard waste

The yard waste collected from your curb might start out as leaves and branches, but it is eventually turned into compost.

All the yard waste collected throughout Winnipeg and at the 4R Depots ends up being piled into long rows, known as windrows, at the Brady Road Resource Management Facility to be composted.

“There is a process everything goes through,” said Mark Kinsley, Waste Diversion Supervisor.

Wood chips are added and then the material is put through a series of temperature and moisture content tests. It’s then sprayed with water to help the composting process. A large machine then regularly drives over the windrows to turn the compost.

It takes between eight to 12 weeks for the compost to cure.

When the compost is ready, it is used on site at the Brady Road Resource Management Facility for landscaping and in other parts of the city, like parks. We also give away compost at our annual giveaway in May.

“We are also able to sell it to soil manufacturers where they will combine it and use it as an enrichment additive,” said Kinsley.

We introduced curbside yard waste collection in 2012. Kinsley said Winnipeggers have embraced the service.

“We appreciate everyone’s participation in the program,” he said.

In 2022, 39,814 tonnes of yard waste was diverted from the landfill. Of that, 24,071 tonnes were picked up at the curb.  The remaining15,743 tonnes were dropped off at the 4R Winnipeg Depots and the Brady Road Resource Management Facility. This includes the production of  4,124 tonnes of wood chips.

While yard waste is collected at the curb from April to November, it can be brought to any of the three 4R Winnipeg Depots to be composted any time of year.

Originally posted on November 26, 2018.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.