Encampments on public property

Residents can contact 311 to report encampments on public property, including bus shelters. If the encampment is not occupied, our crews will respond with the highest priority as resources allow.

If the encampment is occupied, our partner agencies are notified and connect with the residents of the encampment to provide them with appropriate supports to ensure their health and safety.

We will only intervene if there is an immediate risk to public or personal safety as a result of the activity in the encampment. Structures are removed only when activities or living conditions are obviously hazardous.

In such circumstances, our partner agencies will explain the risks to residents, and where needed, provide information about risk reduction. If there is a pattern of persistent behavior that is a risk to life and safety, we may direct residents to vacate the site; our partner agencies will continue to work with the residents, explaining the need to vacate the site and identifying necessary supports.

Encampments on private property

Encampments on private property are a police matter. Property owners can contact Winnipeg Police Service with concerns about an encampment on their property.

Encampment support process

For more detailed information;

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.