Preparing for spring a significant job

Crews are busy filling potholes and clearing catch basins

Sandbags are piled on pallets for flood control with skid steer and dump truck behind them

The snow melt brings a busy time of year for our crews. With temperatures changing from warm during the day to cooler at night, a variety of activities are ongoing to ensure street maintenance and flood preparation work is done.


Potholes are starting to appear on city streets because of the temperature changes.

Crews are working to repair those potholes as quick as possible. A cold mix compound is being used that works best in cold, wet conditions.

These patches are only temporary until hot asphalt can be used, typically in the beginning of May.

It is important for residents to report any potholes through our easy to use online form by contacting 311.

Frozen Catch basins

The spring melt can cause water to pool in streets and back lanes. This is because a nearby catch basin is blocked by ice.

When that happens, crews will use a steaming machine to thaw the ice and allow for the water to properly drain. The process only takes a few minutes.

Report a frozen catch basin online or by contacting 311.

Ditch Clearing

Crews are also working to improve drainage along the ditches in Winnipeg.

Heavy machinery is being used to clear snow and ice from the ditches with steaming crews used to melt the ice in the culverts. This helps prevent overland flooding on properties.

Sanding and Salting Streets

The fluctuating temperature also has crews working to improve traction on the roadways.

When the temperature is below -7°C, sand is used on the streets. If is warmer than -7°C, crews apply salt instead.

Contact 311 if you encounter a roadway that could use sand or salt so crews are aware and can address it. You can also quickly let us know through our online reporting form.


Sandbags will be available to residents who may be expecting or experiencing overland flooding beginning April 10, 2023 at 960 Thomas Ave. from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Residents should bring ID showing they live in Winnipeg.

Originally posted March 25, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.