Vehicles for Hire concerns? We want to hear about it

Vehicles for Hire enforcement vehicle
Our enforcement officers conduct daily mobile patrols to inspect vehicles and make sure drivers are meeting their license requirements.

If you’ve taken a taxi, rideshare, or limousine trip and experienced an issue, remember to contact 311 to report it.

Since taking over licencing and regulating Winnipeg’s vehicle for industry in 2018, we’ve increased enforcement so that passengers and drivers can have a safe and comfortable experience.

“Our enforcement officers conduct daily mobile patrols to inspect vehicles and make sure drivers are meeting their license requirements,” said Grant Heather, Manager of Vehicles for Hire.

We rely heavily on incidents being reported by the public to guide our enforcement and to open investigations.

Passengers or drivers experiencing an emergency should always call 911 first, particularly if there is an immediate threat. For all other incidents, the police non-emergency line can be called at 204-986-6222. Both 911 and 204-986-6222 are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Those more serious issues, as well as lesser disputes or issues involving driver conduct or fare disputes should be reported to 311. Concerns such as obtaining a lost item can also be handled by contacting the dispatcher directly.

“Even if your first call isn’t to 311, we still want to hear from anyone who had a negative experience either during a trip or when interacting with a dispatcher,” said Heather.

All complaints are taken seriously and are investigated by our enforcement team.

Understanding your rights when inside of a vehicle for hire is an important part of ensuring a safe and fair trip. These rights may be displayed inside a taxi or personal transportation provider, and are also available online.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.