WFPS reminds residents to stay fire safe this fall

Following these tips can reduce the risk

Residents should not store their yard waste next to any buildings or fences.
Never store yard waste near a structure.

As the weather gets cooler, many homeowners start getting their homes ready for winter. Each year, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responds to house fires that cause injuries and significant damage to homes and property. These fires are most always preventable.

“When we prepare our homes for winter, what seems like a mundane task can lead to an accidental house fire if we’re not careful, and that can be devastating,” said Mark Reshaur, WFPS Assistant Chief of Fire Prevention & Public Education.

 

Bulky waste

Fires that start in yard waste or bulky waste can rapidly spread, which can lead to a house fire, threatening your home and your family’s safety.

“When you’re doing yard work, remember to keep garbage, yard waste, or bulky waste, such as old furniture, far away from your home, garage, and fence.”

To arrange for bulky waste to be picked up, contact 311. You should only put garbage and recycling out on your collection day, to help reduce the risk of opportunistic arson added Reshaur.

 

Furnace maintenance

As outdoor temperatures cool, it’s a good time to have your furnace serviced by a qualified technician before turning it on for the season, said Reshaur. On top of performing routine maintenance on your furnace, a qualified technician can tell you if your furnace poses a carbon monoxide (CO) risk.

 

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colourless, tasteless gas that can be deadly. It’s important that your home is equipped with CO alarms to alert you if there’s an issue.

 

Heaters

If you are using space heaters and electric heaters to warm an area, they should be used with caution and according to the product’s specifications. Keep flammable items like clothing, curtains, and paper away from heaters.

A space heater should never be left on while you’re sleeping or in another room.

 

Vehicles

When you prepare your vehicle for winter, it’s important think about how to prevent vehicle fires or carbon monoxide exposures.

“Check your extension cords and your vehicle’s block heater for signs of damage and replace any worn out equipment,” said Reshaur.

“Never plug in your vehicle inside a garage.”

You should also never start your vehicle or use a barbecue inside a garage or other enclosed space, even if the door is open. This can lead to a build-up of carbon monoxide.

If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds or you suspect carbon monoxide in your home, get out, stay out, and call 911.

Remember to have a home escape plan and practice is often with all members of your household.

Emergency and safety Other City information Transportation and streets

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.