Improved winter safety and accessibility with more snow clearing on residential sidewalks

snow clearing machine on sidewalk
We used to only plow sidewalks in residential areas after 8 cm of snow. We now plow them after 5 cm.

Winnipeggers who use residential sidewalks and other pathways to get around during snowy months are getting improved service this winter.

We used to only plow sidewalks in residential areas after 8 cm of snow. We now plow them after 5 cm.

This means sidewalks in residential areas now get the same level of service as those on main routes.  Crews will be at residential locations more frequently.

We hope it ultimately leads to smoother treks for many Winnipeggers.

"This should make walking, wheeling, and using mobility aids in residential areas easier and safer for more of the season,” said Michael Cantor, Manager of Street Maintenance.

An exception to this level of service is if we experience a few days in a row of heavy snowfall.

If lots of snow falls and starts to build up on busier sidewalks, crews may turn their attention back to the highest priority walkways first. They would then return to residential areas when time allows.  

“People who rely on sidewalks and pathways to move around, into, and out of residential areas will be better served starting this year,” said Cantor.

To be in the know on snow, visit:

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.