Winnipeg, MB – The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to two recent structure fires.
Main Street fire
At 7:02 a.m. on Saturday, November 18, 2023, the WFPS responded to a monitored fire alarm in a seven-storey hotel in the 500 block of Main Street.
When crews arrived to the scene, they found heavy smoke in the building. A fire was located in one of the suites. The fire had been kept under control by the building’s sprinkler system, and firefighters were quickly able to extinguish the remaining hot spots.
Some occupants of the building self-evacuated, while others were able to shelter in place. No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. At this time, damage estimates are not available.
Pembina Highway fire
At 7:02 p.m. on Friday, November 17, 2023, WFPS crews responded to reports of a fire in a three-storey apartment block in the 1600 block of Pembina Highway.
Upon arrival on scene, crews found smoke in the building and located a fire in the laundry room. They attacked the fire, declaring it under control at 7:45 p.m.
Occupants of the building self-evacuated. No injuries were reported.
Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, caused by a malfunction in the operation of a clothes dryer. The risk of these types of fires can be reduced by following these important tips:
- Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional to ensure it is in good working order.
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter and always clean the filter after each load of laundry.
- Periodically check the venting system to ensure there is no lint buildup and it is not damaged, crushed, or restricted.
- Make sure the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is running.
Never leave a dryer running when leaving your home.