Winnipeg, MB – At 8:42 p.m. on Wednesday, May 24, 2023, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to reports of a fire in a single-storey duplex on Curtis Street.
When crews arrived at the scene, they found smoke coming from the house. They fought the fire from inside the house, declaring the fire under control at 9:27 p.m.
All occupants of the duplex safely self-evacuated prior to the arrival of crews. No injuries were reported. The City’s Emergency Social Services team assisted one displaced resident in finding temporary accommodations.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, originating with the barbecue. Barbecue fires and injuries can be prevented and the City offers five tips for grilling safely.