Winnipeg, MB – At 4:16 p.m. on Tuesday, October 18, 2022, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to a report of a natural gas leak in a vacant two-storey duplex in the 500 block of Alexander Avenue.
When crews arrived to the scene, they confirmed there were high levels of gas in the atmosphere. Five residents from a neighbouring home self-evacuated. They were assessed by paramedics and transported to hospital in stable condition. No other injuries were reported.
Once Manitoba Hydro attended the scene and turned off gas to the vacant house, WFPS crews worked to ventilate the building until gas readings returned to normal.
Natural gas is a colourless, odourless, and highly flammable gas. Manitoba Hydro adds a chemical compound called mercaptan to natural gas to give it a strong, sulphur-like or rotten egg smell. This allows natural gas leaks to be easily detected.
If you smell natural gas, evacuate people and pets out of the area immediately. If you are inside a building, leave the doors open when you leave. Do not smoke, light matches or lighters, operate electrical switches, appliances, phones, or vehicles, or create any other source of ignition or sparks. Once you are in a safe space, call 911 immediately.