Make the right call: When you should contact 211 instead of 311

211 connects you with the right community or social service resource

Person holding phone

If you're searching for mental health supports, home-care services, or newcomer resources, knowing where to go can be overwhelming and stressful. A call to 211 Manitoba can connect you to government, health, and social service resources available across the province to help.

A United Way initiative, 211 Manitoba is a free, confidential, 24/7 service that can be accessed by anyone in Canada. It launched in Manitoba at the end of 2020.

“If you don’t know where to start, call 211 and we will help you find the right community or social service resource,” said Daniel Leonard, 211 Manitoba Director with United Way Winnipeg.  

If you aren’t familiar with 211 Manitoba, you might not be sure of the difference between that service and our 311 Contact Centre.

When to contact 211 Manitoba

You’ll want to reach out to 211 if you are looking for non-emergency community health and social service resources. This includes questions related to housing and people experiencing homelessness, senior supports, employment, and even legal issues.

When to contact 311

If your questions are about City services or programs such as snow clearing concerns, recreation program information, or garbage and recycling collection issues, you'll want to connect with our 311 Contact Centre.

“Our 311 Contact Centre often gets calls that would be best handled by 211 Manitoba,” said Felicia Wiltshire, the City’s Director of Customer Service & Communications

The 211 Manitoba website also has a searchable database of organizations and programs that you can access. Service providers can reach out to 211 Manitoba to be included in its database

If your questions are best suited for our 311 Contact Centre, make sure to review these tips prior to reaching out as we have a variety of self-serve options you can use.

In case of a police, fire, or medical emergency, you must call 911.


Originally posted on February 11, 2022

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.