To mark the 50th anniversary of Winnipeg’s sister city relationship with Lviv in 2023, Ukraine, Mayor Scott Gillingham announced the formation of the Lviv Sister City Advisory Committee (LSCAC).
The LSCAC aims to strengthen ties of mutual understanding and international friendship through educational, cultural, and economic exchanges while expressing solidarity with the people of Ukraine amidst their ongoing conflict with Russia.
"The formation of the Lviv Sister City Advisory Committee reaffirms our commitment to fostering strong bonds between Winnipeg and Lviv, and more broadly with all of Ukraine,” said Mayor Gillingham. “As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of this special relationship, we stand with the people of Ukraine in their pursuit of peace, security, and prosperity."
Established through the Office of the Mayor, the LSCAC will be comprised of up to fourteen citizens at-large appointed by the Mayor. The Committee will work closely with community partners from the cultural, educational, and business sectors to support the sister city program.
Specific objectives of the LSCAC include promoting municipal support for newcomers, developing program activities to advance relationships, increasing outreach to the Ukrainian community, and planning for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Lviv Sister City relationship.
- Mike Ruta (Co-Chair), Community Member
- Denys Volkov (Co-Chair), Community Member
- Jodie Bezdzietny, Community Member
- Marijka Diakiw, Ukrainian Canadian Congress
- Marysa Fosty , Community Member
- Lily Medynska, Community Member
- Rod Picklyk, Immaculate Heart of Mary School
- Gerry Michalski, Soul Sanctuary
- Carina Romagnoli, Troyanda Ukrainian Dance Esemble
- Morgan Shipley , Community Member
- Christopher Sklepowich, Hoosli Ukrainian Male Chorus
- Ostap Skrypnyk, Canada-Ukraine Foundation
- Yulia Zmerzla, Oseredok Ukrainian Cultural & Educational Centre
The LSCAC is expected to meet every two months for the first year, then quarterly throughout the term of Council, with additional meetings as required by programming.