Nomination period for the 2020 School Trustee By‑Election begins this weekend

Released: February 7, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.

Winnipeg, MB – The 2020 School Trustee By-Election for Winnipeg School Division Wards 3 and 4 takes place on Saturday, March 21, 2020.

The Senior Election Official for the Winnipeg School Division will begin accepting nomination papers at noon on Sunday, February 9, 2020 until 4 p.m. on Saturday, February 15, 2020.

Nomination papers must be filed by the candidate in-person, on the prescribed form, and have a minimum of 25 signatures from voters whose names appear on the Voters List for the school division ward in which they are seeking election.

All candidates must provide valid identification showing proof of name and current address in order to be nominated.

The deadline to file is 4 p.m. on Saturday, February 15, 2020.

Deadline for Withdrawal
Candidates may withdraw their nomination, in writing, until 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 16, 2020.

Order of Names on the Ballot
A random draw to determine the order of the candidates' names on the ballot will take place at 5 p.m. on Sunday, February 16, 2020, at City Hall (Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street).

Campaign signs on public property will be permitted throughout the city starting Sunday, February 9. All signs are regulated under Part 4 of the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law No. 1/2008 and Section 182 of the Winnipeg Zoning By-law No. 200/2006.

All campaign signage on public property must display on its face the name and telephone number of the person responsible for placing the sign or causing it to be placed, and the date the sign was placed. Failure to comply with the by-laws may result in the removal and destruction of signs.

Campaign signs must be removed within seven days following the election, on Saturday, March 28, 2020.

To view the campaign signage regulations, please see: City of Winnipeg – Campaign Signage Regulations.

For more information visit or contact 311.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.