Winnipeg, MB – The preliminary 2020-2023 multi-year balanced Operating and Capital budgets for the City of Winnipeg will be tabled at a special meeting of Executive Policy Committee on Friday March 6, 2020 – 1:00 PM.
“The multi-year balanced budget process has increased openness and engagement,” said Councillor Scott Gillingham (St. James), Chair of the Standing Policy Committee on Finance. “Councillors, community groups and citizens have been given greater opportunity and more time than ever before to participate in the process. Every year difficult decisions are required to balance the budget, and though balancing four budget years presents an even greater challenge, it also provides Council the opportunity to make longer-term decisions.”
After the tabling of the budgets on March 6, 2020, the schedule of public meetings to hear delegations and consider the preliminary 2020-2023 Operating and Capital budgets include:
Wednesday, March 11, 2020 – 9:30 AM
- Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, Heritage, and Downtown Development (Special Meeting)
Thursday, March 12, 2020 – 1:00 PM
- Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works (Special Meeting)
Friday, March 13, 2020 – 9:30 AM
- Standing Policy Committee on Protection, Community Services and Parks (Special Meeting)
Friday, March 13, 2020 – 1:00 PM
- Winnipeg Police Board (Special Meeting)
Monday, March 16, 2020 – 9:30 AM
- Standing Policy Committee on Innovation and Economic Development (Special Meeting)
Wednesday, March 18, 2020 – 9:30 AM
- Standing Policy Committee on Water and Waste, Riverbank Management and the Environment (Special Meeting)
Thursday, March 19, 2020 – 9:00 AM
- Executive Policy Committee to hear public delegations on budgets (Special Meeting)
Friday, March 20, 2020 – 9:00 AM
- Executive Policy Committee to table final recommendations (Special Meeting)
Wednesday, March 25, 2020 – 9:30 AM
- Council to consider budget (Special Meeting)
Thursday, March 26, 2020 – 9:30 AM
- Regularly scheduled monthly Council meeting
The City of Winnipeg conducts an annual Citizen Survey. The complete results of the 2019 Citizen Survey can be reviewed here: 2019CitizenSurvey.pdf.
In addition to these survey results being used to inform budget decisions, they are also used to prepare the City of Winnipeg’s Community Trends and Performance Report. This annual report is prepared early in the budget process to provide broad demographic as well as performance data to facilitate decision making and to provide context to the city budgeting process. It includes the City of Winnipeg’s Organizational Balanced Scorecard as well as a host of organizational performance measurements. The 2020 Community Trends and Performance Report can be accessed here: CommunityTrendsandPerformanceReportVolume1_2020.pdf.
The City of Winnipeg also subscribes to quarterly public opinion surveys. The results of these surveys can be reviewed here: QuarterlyPublicOpinionSurvey.pdf
Tabling of the preliminary 2020 budgets on March 6 marks the continuation of an open and transparent budget review process. Members of the public are encouraged to continue to participate in the budget process. To register as a delegation at any of the above committee meetings, residents can contact 311.