Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Update: Alexander Avenue Fire

Released: April 17, 2019 at 7:31 a.m.

Winnipeg, MB – At 11:39 p.m. on April 16, 2019, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) crews responded to reports of a fire in a two storey, single-family home in the 1300 block of Alexander Avenue. Once on scene crews found a small stovetop fire and quickly extinguished it. Damage was contained to area around the stove.

All occupants of the home safely evacuated prior to the arrival of crews. Paramedics assessed and treated two individuals on scene for smoke inhalation. Both were transported to hospital in stable condition.

Preliminary observations suggest the fire cause was accidental due to unattended cooking. Residents are reminded to always stay in the kitchen while cooking. Stove burners should always be turned off when leaving the kitchen, even for a short time. Anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — should always be kept away from the stovetop.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.