Water main breaks more likely during extreme weather conditions

Updated website shows locations of water main work around Winnipeg

There is never a convenient time for a water main break to happen, however the Water and Waste Department has noticed they are more likely to occur during extreme weather conditions in both summer and winter.

“We experience just as many water main breaks in July and August as we do in January and February,” said Zeljko Bodiroga, Water Distribution Engineer with the Water and Waste Department.

If there is a water main break on your street, please contact 311 to report it so a crew can be dispatched to start the repair process.

City of Winnipeg crew repairing a water main break
City of Winnipeg crews will work as quickly as possible to repair a water main break.

City crews will turn off the water as quick as possible to try and minimize any damage. A portable water tank may also be available for residents to use if the water will be off for an extended period of time.

That’s because the colder weather makes repairing the water main more difficult. The water leaking from the broken main can freeze quickly, before it can drain into nearby catch basins.

Residents looking to find out what type of water main work is happening in their area can visit the MyUtilityInfo website. It was recently updated to include a map showing detailed information about water main activity, such as the type of work and when it started.

Screenshot of MyUtilityInfo website with map showing water main activity information
The MyUtilityInfo website now includes a map showing detailed information about water main activity.

You can also contact 311 to find out more about water main work being done in your neighbourhood.

If work is being done in your area, you may experience some discoloured water once the water is turned back on. Water main repair work changes the rate of flow of water and this can cause sediment and minerals in the water pipes to loosen and be released into the water.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.