Local Improvement Program available to upgrade gravel back lanes

Residents can initiate and cost share the construction project if 60% agree

Residents who live along a gravel back lane and want it upgraded to asphalt can take advantage of the Local Improvement Program.

The program gives property owners the option to cost share the project with some financial assistance from the City.

“When a Local Improvement is undertaken for a gravel lane, the City subsidizes a portion of the pavement costs which includes the subbase and an asphalt overlay,” said Ken Allen, Communications Officer with the Public Works Department.

Allen said if it is determined new storm drainage is required as part of the upgrades, the City will cover 100 percent of the cost of these upgrades. This can include new catch basins, manholes, and storm sewer system.

In addition to upgraded drainage, residents will also notice less dust and access to properties will be improved.

A back lane improvement project in Norwood Flats.
A back lane Local Improvement project in Norwood Flats.

Allen suggests residents interested in initiating a project like this should informally survey the benefitting property owners to gauge support. The City can provide assistance in creating a handout notice for this process. If there appears to be sufficient support you may submit a request in writing for a formal petition.

The petition must be signed by at least 60 percent of the benefiting property owners in order for it to be voted on by the respective Community Committee to continue the process.

Homeowner, renter and business information Transportation and streets

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.