Community Service Ambassadors are back to help educate people about COVID-19 guidelines

Ambassadors are in Assiniboine, St. Vital, and Kildonan parks to educate on current public health orders.

A pair of Community Service Ambassadors patrol Kildonan Park in spring 2020.

As the number of COVID-19 cases remains high in Winnipeg, our Community Service Ambassadors will be returning to three City-owned parks – Assiniboine, St. Vital, and Kildonan – to help educate people what is allowed under the current pandemic restrictions.

“We recognize the importance of being outside for physical and mental well-being, especially during the pandemic, but we need to make sure people are being safe and respecting all the Provincial public heath orders,” said Jason Shaw, the Assistant Chief of Emergency Management.

“Unfortunately, not everyone is following the rules.”

Wearing blue vests so they can be easily recognized, Community Service Ambassadors were first in City-owned parks and open spaces back in April 2020. They were redeployed Community Services Department employees who worked in City-facilities unable to operate as a result of the Provincial public health orders. They had returned to their positions once the facilities reopened last year.

With all recreation and leisure programs and services currently suspended and all City-owned and operated recreation facilities, gyms, indoor pools, and arenas closed until further notice, the program has returned.

“They are there for positive reinforcement of the gathering limits and physical distancing measures in place,” said Shaw.

“If you see our Community Service Ambassadors, please wave and be kind. They are working to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.”

While the ambassadors will be taking an educational approach, they can contact By-Law Enforcement Officers who can issue tickets under the public health orders if that is determined to be needed.

Celebrating City employees COVID-19 Emergency and safety Homeowner, renter and business information Libraries, recreation and leisure Parks, trees and the environment

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.