Winnipeg, MB – At 11:33 a.m. on Friday, June 10, 2022, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responded to a hazardous material incident inside the BellMTS Iceplex on Portage Avenue.
When crews arrived on-scene, they established a perimeter around the building and confirmed the self-evacuation of occupants.
The hazardous materials team proceeded to enter the building and recorded high levels of ammonia of up to 200 parts per million (ppm).
Crews successfully mitigated the ammonia leak and ventilated the building. No occupants were found. No injuries were reported. Staff were able to safely return to the facility.