311 City services

Find ways to report, apply/register, pay, or view/find information about popular City services, programs, and activities.

City services

Search for services, programs, and information by keyword or use the service and property type filters.

Search filters

Displaying 1 - 10 of 67

Current filters (click to remove)

Online services:YesX
Online services


  • Find City information related to an address including electoral ward and Councillor


  • View adoptable pets online
  • Learn more about adopting from Animal Services
  • View our adoption fees and what they include


Report a number of animal-related bylaw violations or concerns, including:

  • dog barking
  • dog or cat biting
  • dog or cat running at large
  • lost dog
  • found dog or cat

If the animal is presenting an immediate threat to life or public safety, call 9-1-1.

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law regulates the presence of wild and domesticated animals within Winnipeg, their activities and the activities of their owners.


  • Request an inspection for unsafe electrical, structural, construction or demolition concerns
  • Report construction work without a permit, including new build, demolition, plumbing, electrical, air conditioner, pool, deck or replacement of building materials


  • Search for a route
  • View routes on the map
  • View stops on a route


  • Search by address or roll number to view annual rental values
  • Find other business assessment information for properties in Winnipeg


  • Submit feedback on your experience with City programs and services
  • File a claim against the City


  • Request a review by a City screening officer

If you’ve already submitted a request for review, you can check the status of your review.


  • View meeting agendas, minutes, disposition, hansard, and videos
  • Search meetings by meeting date, and Committee type

Latest agendas listing

Current call times

Contact 311

Social: @cityofwinnipeg 

Email: 311@winnipeg.ca

Phone or fax: 311

Toll free: 1-877-311-4974 (4WPG)

MRS/TTY relay: 711

For callers who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability.

Mobile apps

A variety of official City apps are available for download.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.