Recreation Fee Assistance Program

Supporting Winnipeggers
Learn more about City programs and services to support people living on low income at

The Recreation Fee Assistance Program:

  • reduces financial barriers to participation
  • helps ensure equitable access to recreation programs and services

Program benefits

There are three types of benefits available:

Facility pass

Unlimited admission to the City of Winnipeg's recreation facilities, including:

Effective October 1, 2023, annual facility access will be provided via a rechargeable 10-visit pass.

Drop-in active living pass

10-visit pass for drop-in active living programs (including Zumba and Aquafit)

Leisure Guide activity credit

$300 credit per person to use for registered Leisure Guide activities (including skating & swimming lessons)

Important information if you are applying for fee assistance for the Leisure Guide activity credit:

  • Apply prior to the Leisure Guide registration dates
  • If approved, you are responsible for completing your own registrations
  • A Leisure Guide activity credit will be added to the account of each individual identified on the application
  • The Leisure Guide activity credit is an annual credit to be applied towards all Leisure Guide sessions. It is valid for a period of 12 months from approval
  • The Leisure Guide activity credit cannot be used to purchase:
    • admissions
    • visits/memberships
    • facility rentals
    • gift cards
    • POS items
  • The Leisure Guide activity credit is not transferrable and has no cash value

Program eligibility

To be eligible for the program, individuals or economic families must be a City of Winnipeg resident(s) and one of the following must apply:

  • You are a new permanent resident or refugee who has:
    • been in Canada for less than 18 months, and
    • not filed a tax return
  • You have an economic family income below the low income cut-off (LICO) (amounts listed below)
Economic family sizeTotal income
More than 7for each additional person, add $7,413

Note: Other considerations may be made for special circumstances.

(Sources: Statistics Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada)

"Economic family" refers to a group of two or more persons who:

  • live in the same dwelling, and
  • are related to each other by blood, marriage, common-law union, adoption or a foster relationship

Application requirements

1. Verification of economic need

Provide one of the following supporting documents with your application (if it has not already been supplied in the past 12 months):

  • Documentation showing your landing date in Canada and UCI number
  • Social assistance (EIA) budget letter
  • Most recent Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment (identifying annual net income of all economic family members)
  • Monthly statement of income from CPP Disability (including the income verification of all economic family members)

If you are unable to provide the above documents, a third party agency you have a relationship with may be able to provide a referral for you. Please reach out to your social or support worker to see if they can provide you with a referral.

2. Application form

You must include everyone in your economic family on one application. Don't forget to check off which benefits you would like to receive; you can select one, two, or all three.

Please provide a daytime phone number if possible; we will call you if we have any questions.

How to apply

Submit your completed application form and supporting documentation.

Apply by email

Please note: the City cannot guarantee the security of your personal information if you choose to submit by email.

Apply by mail

Fee Assistance Program
6th Floor, 395 Main St.
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3N8

Next steps

Applications may take up to 10 business days to process.

If you emailed, you will receive an automatic response letting you know that your application has been received.

After your application has been fully processed, you will be sent a letter indicating the outcome of your application.

If your application is approved, you will need to finish setting up your leisureONLINE account.

Third party referrals and partner agencies

We partner with organizations and agencies who serve newcomers, refugees, and individuals and families living on low income to remove barriers to accessing the Recreation Fee Assistance Program. These partner agencies refer clients and community members to the program, and submit applications on their behalf. Our partners include organizations in the settlement sector, neighbourhood renewal corporations, social workers, family resource centres, and government social assistance.

If you work for an organization who serves individuals and families who are eligible for the Recreation Fee Assistance Program and are interested in becoming a third party partner agency, please contact for more information.

If you are an individual who would like a referral, reach out to your social worker or support worker to see if they can provide you with a referral.

Contact us

For more information on the Recreation Fee Assistance Program, please call 311 or email

Other subsidized services

If you are approved for participation in the Recreation Fee Assistance Program, you may be eligible for other subsidized City of Winnipeg Services, such as:

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.