City Clerk's services

The Office of the City Clerk is responsible for providing support for Council and Committees, conducting municipal elections, overseeing Freedom of Information requests for the City of Winnipeg, maintaining corporate records, and providing a number of additional services including, but not limited to, document certification, Commissioner for Oaths, wedding ceremonies, and the sale of marriage licences.

The City Clerk is a statutory officer appointed by Council who supports the work of Mayor, Council and its committees and works closely with senior administration. The current City Clerk is Carlos Gameiro.

A Commissioner for Oaths is a person appointed or designated under The Manitoba Evidence Act to take affidavits or declarations by asking you to swear or affirm that what is in a document is true.

City Clerk's provides Commissioner for Oaths services for certain documents. Some examples are affidavits, statutory declarations and affirmations. Please note that the documents must be staying in Manitoba.

A Commissioner for Oaths reserves the right to refuse to take an affidavit for valid reasons.

To find out if your document can be witnessed by a Commissioner for Oaths within the department, please contact 311.


The person swearing an oath, making an affirmation or making a declaration is called a deponent or declarant. A Commissioner for Oaths certifies that the oath, affirmation or declaration has been properly administered. Commissioners for Oaths do not certify the truth of the statements contained in a document. This is the responsibility of the declarant.

A declarant must be physically present before the Commissioner for Oaths. The declarant's signature will be confirmed by comparing the signature with one piece of current ID. An example could be a valid driver's license, or provincial health insurance card. The Commissioner for Oaths must be satisfied that the declarant's identity and signature match the ID provided before they can sign the document. 

A Commissioner for Oaths cannot certify or verify documents. This means they cannot make a photocopy of an original document and state that it is a true copy of the original. A Commissioner for Oaths cannot witness Enduring Power of Attorney forms.

The City Clerk, or designate, can certify domestic and foreign pension or proof of life forms. The office is open 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, and appointments are not required.

We do not provide this service. If you need the signature of a notary, please contact a lawyer or notary. You can also contact the Immigrant Centre.

More information is available on the Province of Manitoba's website

A certified true copy is a colour photocopy of an original document, such as a birth certificate or passport, certified by the City Clerk, or Deputy City Clerk, to be a true copy of the original record.

Documents that required certification can be brought to:

City Clerk's Department
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Main Floor, Susan A. Thompson Building
510 Main St.
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 1B9

There is a charge of $5.70 plus GST per page for the City of Winnipeg seal, as well as a $0.55 charge per page for photocopies.

Only original documents will be accepted.

We offer souvenir lapel pins featuring the City of Winnipeg logo or crest to Winnipeggers traveling to other cities or countries, to organizations hosting events, and to out-of-town visitors.

City of Winnipeg souvenir lapel pin with logo
City of Winnipeg souvenir lapel pin with crest

A maximum of 100 pins are available free of charge by filling out a Pin Request Form. You will be notified when the pins are ready and they must be picked up in person.

Submit the completed form to the City Clerk's Department:

  • In person: City Clerk's Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main St.
  • Mail: City Clerk's Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main St, R3B 1B9.
  • Email:

Additional pins (over the 100 pin limit) may be purchased at a cost of $0.40 per pin (plus PST & GST).

You may also try contacting your City Councillor to request pins. Search your address to find your Councillor.

Tours of City Hall (Council Building) can be arranged during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, by appointment only. To request a tour, contact 311.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.