To act as a liaison between the community and the Winnipeg Police Service (WPS). The board will provide civilian governance respecting law enforcement, and the administrative direction and organization required to support an effective police service.
The Board must hold a meeting at least once every three months and have such duties as provided in the Police Services Act.
- Councillor Chambers, Chairperson
- His Worship Mayor Gillingham
Appointments for a 2-year term to expire December 31, 2024:
- Kyle Mason
- Daphne Penrose
- Kevin Selch
- Damon Johnston - term to expire March 2, 2025
- Colleen Mayer, Vice-Chair - term to expire March 2, 2026
Winnipeg Police Board By-law 148/2012, passed by Council on November 28, 2012.
The Police Services Act (S.M. 2009,c.32) required that The City of Winnipeg implement a municipal Police Board by December 1, 2012.
Minimum of 7 and maximum of 9 members:
- 2 appointments made by the Province of Manitoba
- a minimum of five and a maximum of seven members of the Board, including the Chair and Vice-Chair, to be appointed as follows:
- the Mayor or his or her nominee, who may be a member of the public or a Councillor, and shall also serve as Chair of the Board;
- a minimum of one and a maximum of two Councillors; (Council Appointees who are Councillors shall be appointed for a 1-year term. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a Councillor may be a Board member only so long as they remain a Councillor.)
- a minimum of three and a maximum of five members of the public. (Council Appointees who are citizens shall be appointed for a term not to exceed the lesser of three years or the term of office of the Council that made the appointment.)
Shauna Curtin, Secretary to the Board
9th Floor, 457 Main St.
Winnipeg, MB R3B 1B5