Keep animals out of the shelter with these tips

Dogs are seen behind bars.
Animal Services Agency continues to struggle with overcrowding at its Logan Avenue facility. There are ways you can help address that problem.

Overcrowding at the Animal Services Agency has been an ongoing issue since the pandemic, with the shelter often holding twice the number of dogs it has capacity for.

While adopting a dog or taking one out for a Doggie Date is a great way to help keep dogs out of the shelter, there are other ways you can help if you’re not ready to take a new pet into your home.

“The best outcome for a lost dog is to be connected directly with their owners, without needing to stay at our shelter,” said Leland Gordon, General Manager of the Animal Services Agency.

What to do if you find a lost pet

If you find a lost dog or cat in the community, it’s likely they aren’t far from home. Start by looking for a pet licence or other identification. If there is none, ask nearby residents if they own the pet or know its owner.

If you are unable to immediately locate the owner, and are comfortable with the dog or cat, you can bring it to your home. Make sure they are secured either inside your home or in a fenced yard, and offer the pet water.

Post a photo and description of the pet on your community social media pages, as well as on Winnipeg Lost Dog Alert, Winnipeg Lost Cat Assistance, or Winnipeg Missing and Found Cat Watch.

If you’re still unable to locate the owner, or you aren’t able to take the pet with you, contact 311 (for lost dogs) or the Winnipeg Humane Society (for lost cats).

What to do if you own a pet

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law requires that all dogs and cats over the age of six months be licensed.

While a licence tag should be worn on your pet’s collar at all times, you should also have them wear a tag with your personal phone number or contact information.

Personalized tags can be found online or at engraving shops. Collars with GPS tracking or holders for tracking devices such as AirTags are also available at retailers.

Microchipping and tattooing, included with all dogs available for adoption at the Animal Services Agency, can be performed by a veterinarian.

Finally, having your pet spayed or neutered helps control overpopulation while keeping them healthy. Spay and neuter cost assistance for residents living on low income is available through the City-supported SNAP program at the Winnipeg Humane Society or our Prevent a Litter program.

If you do lose your pet, contact 311 (to report lost dogs) and/or the Winnipeg Humane Society (to report lost dogs and cats) to file a report, and follow these steps.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.