Slow the flow. Save for tomorrow.
We encourage you to use Winnipeg's drinking water wisely. Just as you wouldn't leave a door open in the middle of winter, you know that wasting water isn't smart either. Yet there's many places where water is still being used wastefully. That's water and money slipping through your fingers.
If you want to be part of the solution, then this is the place to get your feet wet and learn about practical ways to conserve water. We've got plenty of water saving tips for all types of customers:
Upgrade and save
Water-efficient appliances and water-saving designs for common household devices also help us use less water.
- As appliances and fixtures wear out, replace them with ENERGY STAR certified and WaterSense labelled
- Replace an old water-guzzling toilet with a WaterSense labelled toilet that uses 20% less water than a conventional 6-litre toilet. Before you replace an existing toilet, we encourage you to:
- Read about our residential toilet replacement credit program.
- calculate the payback period for purchasing a new WaterSense labelled toilet
- Manitoba Hydro Power Smart is offering a free water and energy saver kit that can help save up to $30 on your annual water bill and $27 on your energy bill. Each kit contains items that will help reduce the amount of water you use as well as the energy required to heat your water, including low-flow showerheads and low-flow aerators for faucets.
Did you know that the amount of water billed by the City of Winnipeg in 2009 is 27% less than the water billed in 1990? This includes the City's population growth of 56,407 people over that same period.