Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
What’s Your Residential Street Snow Zone?
Parks and Open Space

Park Rentals - Fireworks

Fireworks are an exciting part of many local celebrations.

Residents and community groups often want to set off fireworks as part of events for which they rent or reserve a parks site or community centre property.

This webpage provides information on the requirements for fireworks displays in conjunction with a Parks booking permit. For information on all other fireworks displays on any other type of public property or on private property visit Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Fireworks FAQ.

The type of permit required depends on the hazard level - low or high - of the fireworks you wish to set off.

Low-hazard fireworks permits cover

  • Fireworks purchased at a local store
  • Any fireworks administered by a non-commercial company

Low-hazard permit for events on Parks property must be taken out by the same person who obtained the Parks permit.

Once you complete a Parks booking, please notify your representative that you wish to conduct a fireworks display as part of your rental. Bookings will put you in touch with the appropriate area technician who will assist you in completing your application through Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service.

High-hazard fireworks include

  • Professional pyrotechnics displays
  • Any fireworks provided and administered by a commercial company

To obtain a high-hazard permit, the person responsible requires accreditation through the Explosive Regulatory Division of Natural Resources Canada, and they must submit a completed permit application for to Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Fire Prevention Branch, 2nd Floor, 185 King Street, Winnipeg, MB R3B 1J1.

A Parks booking permit that is associated with a high-hazard fireworks display is considered tentative and will not be issued until the high-hazard fireworks permit is provided to Park Bookings.

Please note

  • Regardless of the type of permit you require, please allow a minimum of 10 business days for your application to be processed.
  • The exact location of where the fireworks are going to be discharged must be supplied in order to start the park permitting process.
  • You will be contacted if permission is not granted for either type of fireworks permit.

Learn more about fireworks permits and applications.

Last update: February 24, 2020