Single Family Dwelling
Notice to building permit applicants - The Zoning & Permits Branch is not currently accepting walk-in customers. Permit applications are being processed. However, permit applications must be submitted digitally. Learn more about Digital Permit Applications options and requirements. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
Advice and permit information for the construction of a new single family dwelling
To apply for your permit please visit the Zoning and Permits Office at Unit 31 – 30 Fort Street.
Here is a list of brochures to guide you with your building project:
New House Construction
A 20-page booklet providing a guide to the plans required when applying for a building permit for new house construction, including information on documents and plans to bring along, requirements for plumbing and electrical permits and material specifications.
A 32-page homeowners' guide for electrical installations in single-family dwellings, detached garages and sheds.
An 18-page homeowner's guide of plumbing requirements for single-family dwellings.
- Confirm addressing requirements for any new construction before completing your permit application by emailing PropertyAddressing@winnipeg.ca.
- Two copies of full construction plans
- Two copies of a site plan
- Completed Application Form
- Completed Owner Statement
- A completed Professional Designer's Certificate for Housing where structural components are required to be under seal of an engineer.
Separate permits are required for electrical and plumbing
Each permit application requires all of the information shown on the application form and the application must be submitted to the Zoning and Permits office. Your application visit will take less time if you complete the application form in advance.
Special 5-Day Permit Programs:
- Design Coordinated Application Plans Approval Program
An 8-page booklet outlining the process for members of the Manitoba Home Builders Association to follow to expedite permit applications.
- New Home Master Plans Approval Program
A 2-page pamphlet describing the New Home Master Plans Approval Program that is available to builders, and provides a 5-day permit approval time for properly completed applications.
For more information on the following issues, please call 311
- Lot Grade Permit, Sewer Application, Lot Grade Deposit and Equalization Credits or Charges (Water & Waste Department)
- Damage deposit and Approach approval (Public Works Department)