Notice to building permit applicants - The Zoning & Permits Branch is not currently accepting walk-in customers. Permit applications are being processed. However, permit applications must be submitted digitally. Learn more about Digital Permit Applications options and requirements. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
Advice and permit information on the Winnipeg Electrical By-law requirements for single family dwellings, detached garages, or sheds
A 32-page homeowners’ guide for electrical installations in single-family dwellings, detached garages and sheds.
- Wiring Diagram indicating the location of receptacles, lights, switches, and all other equipment to be installed. Include total numbers of each type of electrical device to be installed (i.e. individual receptacles, lights, switches etc).
- Either a Homeowner of a single detached dwelling occupied as his/her principal residence or a Licenced Electrical Contractor may apply for a permit.
- Completed Electrical application and Declared Value form.
- Completed Homeowner Electrical Permit Declaration Form for homeowners wishing to do their own electrical installation.
All the above information must be submitted to the Zoning & Permits Office with your electrical permit application. Homeowner applicants must submit their applications in person. Your application visit will take less time if you complete the application, Declared Value and Homeowner Declaration forms in advance.
How to apply:
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
- Apply online (Licenced Contractors only)
- In-person by visiting the Zoning & Permits office, Unit 31-30 Fort Street, Tuesday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.