About the Service River Patrol Unit
Required Boating Equipment
Unpowered Pleasure Craft not over 6 metres in length
- one Government of Canada (Department of Transport) approved personal flotation device (PFD) or a lifejacket for small vessels of appropriate size for each person on board
- one buoyant heaving line of not less than 15m in length
- one manual propelling device (paddle or oars) OR an anchor with not less than 15m of cable, rope or chain in any combination
- one Class 5BC fire extinguisher. (IF.. the craft is equipped with a fuel burning cooking, heating or refrigerating appliance).
- one bailer or manual water pump fitted with or accompanied by sufficient hose to enable a person using the pump to pump water from the bilge of the vessel over the side of the vessel. (This equipment is not required for any self-bailing sealed hull sailing vessel fitted with a recess-type cockpit that cannot contain a sufficient quantity of water to make the vessel capsize or a multi-hull vessel that has subdivided multiple-sealed hull construction).
- a sound signaling device or a sound signaling appliance audible at distances of half a marine mile (0.93 km)
- navigation lights that meet the applicable standards set out in the Collision Regulations if the pleasure craft is operated after sunset and before sunrise or in periods of restricted visibility.
* Top of Page