Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Winnipeg Police Service

Alarm Permits - Frequently Asked Questions

For information about alarm permits, contact 311

Open all | Close all

Do I need to get an alarm permit?

Any alarm system (monitored or non-monitored) operating within the City of Winnipeg must have a current alarm permit.

Where do I get a permit?

Permits are available at any police station in the City of Winnipeg or on our website.

How much do permits cost?

Alarm permits are $25.00 for residential properties and $35.00 for commercial properties.

Who do I make my cheque payable to?

Make cheques payable to the City of Winnipeg.

Does the City take credit cards?

Yes, we accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

How can I pay for a new alarm permit?


  • You can renew your permit online. To renew your permit online you will need your permit and account number from the renewal notice.

Mail to:

Alarm Coordinator
PO Box 1639
Winnipeg, MB R3C 2Z6

What information must I provide on the alarm permit application?
  • For monitored alarms:
    • The monitoring company name
  • For audible alarm systems:
    • The names of two key holders
  • Can I send a completed renewal form with my credit card information, as an email attachment?

    No, but you can use the online payment option.

    What is a key holder?

    A key holder is a person who does not live at the monitored address and who will be called by the monitoring company or by the Police when the alarm is activated and the owner cannot be contacted.

    Can I transfer my permit when I move?

    Permits are not transferable from one address to another.

    I’ve bought a business that has an alarm permit; can I use that one?

    No. If there is a new owner a new permit must be completed.

    How do I get replacement stickers if they were damaged, lost, or inadvertently placed in the wrong location?

    You can contact 311. You can request a replacement decal by giving your name and the address of the alarm permit. The replacement decal will be sent to you by mail.

    Does the permit expire?

    Permits expire every four years.

    How much is the renewal amount?

    The alarm permit renewal fee is $25.00 for commercial and residential permits.

    Where do I place my alarm decal?

    Decals should be displayed in a location visible to Police usually near the front door.

    How do I cancel my Alarm Permit?

    Contact 311 and provide the address which is listed for the permit.


    CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
    "An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
    Last update: May 12, 2020

     * Top of Page

    Was this information helpful?

    How can we make it better?

    Any personal information included in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

    Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

    Quelles améliorations pourrions-nous faire?

    Les renseignements personnels qui sont inclus dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer notre site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone (311) si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.