As previously released:
On January 18, 2023, at 6:58 p.m., General Patrol members, with the assistance of the K9 Unit and Tactical Support Team, responded to a restaurant in the 600 block of St. James Street for a report of shots heard and an assault.
It is believed that a group of individuals had left the establishment and entered a nearby ridesharing vehicle. A disagreement ensued, and the 28-year-old male driver was assaulted with a firearm. Several shots were fired, and the group fled the area.
The driver suffered injuries but did not require transport to a hospital.
The Major Crimes Unit continued investigating the Robbery and Assault of a ridesharing driver, which occurred on January 18, 2023, at a restaurant in the 600 block of St. James Street.
Through their investigation, an adult male and adult female suspect were identified. On January 21 at approximately 9:00 p.m., the suspects were observed traveling in a vehicle at Dale Boulevard and Kersey Bay. Officers conducted a high-risk vehicle traffic stop and arrested both suspects without incident.
On January 22, a search warrant was executed at a linked residence in the first 100 block of Dellwood Crescent, and investigators seized the following items:
- Approximately $18,500 in currency
- Approximately 29 grams of suspected Cocaine ( Estimated Street Value: $2,999)
- Approximately 15 Tablets of suspected Oxycodone ( Estimated Street Value: $150)
- Assorted clothing ( believed worn during the robbery)
The firearm remains outstanding.
Investigators learned that on the date of the incident, a group of suspects entered a ridesharing vehicle where they were advised by the victim (driver) that the passenger capacity had been exceeded.
The suspects verbally indicated their displeasure by threatening to harm the driver. While still occupying the vehicle, one of the suspects produced a firearm and pistol-whipped the victim, causing minor injuries not requiring medical attention. Investigators also learned that the suspects attempted to steal the victim’s cellular phone before fleeing from the vehicle. While they fled, the male suspect discharged the firearm several times in the direction of the victim’s vehicle; however, no damage or injuries were reported.
A 21-year-old male from Berens River, MB, is facing the following charges:
- Utter Threats- Cause Death or Bodily Harm
- Assault with a Weapon
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
- Possession of Firearm, Restricted/Prohibited Weapon or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order
- Discharge a Firearm with Intent
- Discharge a Firearm in a Reckless Manner
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking - Cocaine
- Fail to Comply with Condition of Release Order x 6
- Warrant (Public Interest)
A 19-year-old female from Long Plain, MB, is facing the following charges:
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking
Both were detained in custody.
This investigation is continuing by members of the Major Crimes Unit. Anyone with information that may assist investigators is asked to call 204-986-6219 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-TIPS (8477).