On September 14, 2023, at approximately 4:10 a.m., Winnipeg Police Service Central District General Patrol officers in the 100 block of Martha Street were approached by a male advising he had been shot.
Officers summoned an ambulance to attend for the 42-year-old male victim suffering from a lower-body gunshot wound. He was transported to hospital in unstable condition and subsequently upgraded to stable. Officers located a 23-year-old female suspect nearby and arrested her without incident.
The Major Crimes Unit assumed the investigation and learned two groups of individuals had been involved in a verbal dispute. The dispute escalated when the suspect retrieved an improvised firing device (zip gun) concealed on her person and discharged it toward the victim, striking him in the lower body. The victim flagged down officers present nearby, advising he was shot by the suspect, who was still nearby. Officers arrested the suspect and recovered the zip gun and thirteen (13) .22 calibre rounds of ammunition which they seized as evidence.
Vera Raquel GRIEVES, 23, of Winnipeg, is charged with the following offences:
- Aggravated Assault
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
- Possession of Firearm, Restricted/Prohibited Weapon or Ammunition contrary to Prohibition Order x 2
- Carrying Concealed Weapon Prohibited Device or Ammunition
- Fail to Comply with Condition of Release Order x 6
- Warrants of Arrest x 4
She was detained in custody.