Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Animal Services
on Social Media

Animal Services Agency

Pet licenses

To adopt a dog from Animal Services

Lost your dog?

  • Check Winnipeg Lost Dog Alert Inc. on Facebook. All stray dogs impounded inside Animal Services are posted on the site
  • Contact 311
  • Visit Animal Services at 1057 Logan Ave.

Pour adopter un chien aux Services aux animaux

Vous avez perdu votre chien?

  • Consultez la page Facebook Winnipeg Lost Dog Alert Inc. Tous les chiens errants mis en fourrière aux Services aux animaux sont affichés sur le site.
  • Communiquez avec le 311.
  • Rendez visite aux Services aux animaux, au 1057, avenue Logan.

Pet licensing is the primary source of revenue for all the programming that Animal Services provides to help animals and people in our community. Learn more at Helping dogs and cats.

Purchasing or renewing a license

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law requires that all dogs and cats over the age of six months be licensed.

City of Winnipeg dog and cat licenses must be renewed annually (bi-annually for 2 year licenses). An invoice is emailed or sent to the address we have on file one month prior to the license expiring; however, it remains the pet owner's responsibility to ensure their pet has a current license. Failure to purchase or renew your pet's license can result in legal proceedings.

Dangerous dog licenses are mandatory for all dogs designated as dangerous and all dogs used primarily to guard property.

There are 4 ways to purchase or renew your dog or cat license: online, phone, in-person or mail.

Please note: Pet licenses are non-refundable and non-transferable.


Purchase or renew a license online. Payment by Visa/Mastercard/American Express.


Call 311. Payment by Visa/Mastercard/American Express.


At the following locations.


Mail your completed application with payment or your renewal invoice with any corrections to:

The City of Winnipeg
Animal Services Agency
1057 Logan Avenue
Winnipeg, MB. R3E 3N8

Payment by cheque only, payable to "The City of Winnipeg."


View a complete listing of Animal Services License fees.

Frequently asked questions

Cancelling a license

If you have moved out of the city, given the pet away, or your pet is deceased, please contact 311 to cancel your license.

Please note: Pet licenses are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Transferring a license

Pet licenses are not transferable between pets, but the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law allows a change of ownership of a pet license during the license year. The new owner may have the current license number transferred to his or her name.

We require both the new and current owner's signatures to process a transfer of ownership. Please complete the transfer of ownership form and either email it to 311 or drop it off at the Animal Services Agency, 1057 Logan Avenue.

Please note: Pet license fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Lost and/or found license tags

Lost license tag

If you have lost your pet's license tag, replacement tag fees apply. Contact the Animal Services Agency at 311. Replacement tags can also be issued to you in-person at the Animal Services Agency, 1057 Logan Avenue.

Found license tag

If you have found a City of Winnipeg pet license tag, contact the Animal Services Agency at 311.

Animal Services Agency
1057 Logan Ave.
Winnipeg MB R3E 3N8
Phone: 311
Fax: 311

Privacy statement

The collection of personal information in our licensing program is for the purpose of issuing, renewing and administering the Pet License Program and the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law. Collection is authorized by clauses 36(1) and 44(1)(a) of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). If your pet becomes lost, your personal information may be shared with area animal shelters and veterinary clinics so that you can be notified if your pet is found. Your personal information may be used by the City of Winnipeg to research and plan for programs or services respecting pet ownership. The collection, use and disclosure of this information is protected by FIPPA. If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of this information, contact 311 or call toll free 1-877-311-4974 (4WPG).

Last update: March 10, 2021

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.