Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Community Services


Part 5 (Noise Control) of the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law 1/2008 will regulate noise nuisance activities.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

Who do I call about a loud party or music at a house or people related noise?
  • Contact the Winnipeg Police Service at 204-986-6222
My neighbour’s air conditioner or furnace is really loud. Can anything be done about that?
  • Contact Community By-law Enforcement Services at 311 to register a complaint.
What are the noise levels for air conditioners or air moving units?
  • Air conditioners, fans or air moving equipment cannot produce a noise level above 55 dBA between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.; and 50 dBA between 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. (measured from point of reception).
How do I get a Noise Permit?
  • You can apply for a Noise Permit through the Winnipeg Police Service.
What noises are exempt?
  • emergency sirens and signals used during an emergency by an ambulance, fire vehicle or police vehicle
  • sound produced in the course of constructing, maintaining, rehabilitating or otherwise working on a street or property owned by the City of Winnipeg
  • military bands or parades or other parades operating under a permit issued under the Traffic By-law or a successor by-law
  • activities normally associated with:
    • places of religious worship, religious retreat and religious instruction that qualify for a partial exemption from real property taxation under clause 22 (1)(i) of The Municipal Assessment Act
    • (ii) public schools, as that term is used in The Public Schools Act, and private schools, as that term is used in The Education Administration Act; including worship services, children’s play and school-sponsored activities on school yards, and the ringing of church or school bells.
  • sound producing devices used during the month of December for the rendering of Christmas carols
  • aircraft and railway rolling stock
  • an activity, work or undertaking performed by or through the City in respect of public services, facilities or installations
  • an activity for which a permit has been issued by the designated employee
What noises are prohibited under the Neighbourhood Liveabilty By-law?
  • The Liveability By-Law requires that a person must not make or continue, or cause to be made or continued, or own or harbour an animal that makes an unreasonably loud, unnecessary or excessive noise or sound.
  • Certain activities that cause excessive noise within 150 meters of a residential property are restricted before 7:00 am. and after 9:00pm. Monday to Friday and 9:00am. and after 9:00pm. Saturday, Sunday and statutory holidays.

    Excessive noise activities may include:

    • Power Saw
    • Power Garden Tools
    • Sanders
    • Grinders
    • Heavy construction equipment or tools
    • Testing of motor vehicles
    • Powered model vehicles
    • Snow Blower
    • Lawn Mower
  • For complaints related to these types of noise issues please contact the City of Winnipeg at 311.
What can I do if my neighbours dog is barking?
Last update: February 26, 2020