Fraud & Waste Hotline
Fraud/Waste/Theft - Recognize it • Report it • Stop it
The City of Winnipeg has established a Fraud & Waste Hotline that is available 24/7 to anyone. It is a convenient, anonymous and confidential way to report incidents of alleged wrongdoing as well as other issues and concerns. All reports will be investigated regardless of the alleged wrongdoer’s position in, or, relationship to the City. The Fraud & Waste Hotline is operated by the Audit Department, an independent office reporting to Council. Information in reports can only be accessed by the Audit Department. The City Auditor or designate will review each reported case and, if necessary, launch an investigation. They will ensure that an appropriate, objective and impartial investigation is conducted.
This initiative reflects the City’s proactive efforts to ensure and demonstrates our commitment to corporate accountability, transparency, responsibility, and sound and ethical operation practise. It supports a high level of integrity of our employees in the workplace, and also protects City property, resources and information.
• Recognize it
Reports should be about a specific incident and must, whenever possible, include who, what, when and where. Contact the Fraud & Waste Hotline to report instances/activities such as:
- Activities which are in violation of the Employee Code of Conduct, by-laws , legislation, policies, procedures, regulations,
- Authorizing or receiving payments for goods or services not received or performed
- City employees committing Illegal acts (note: Call 911 to report any crime in progress or any situation where people or property are at risk; for non-emergency illegal activities call Winnipeg Police Service at 204-986-6222)
- City employees committing fraudulent acts
- Disclosure of confidential or proprietary information to outside parties
- Forgery or alteration of cheques
- Fraudulent claims of reimbursement expenses
- Irregularities in money handling
- Misuse of City resources including computers
- Theft of City assets, property or funds
• Report it
Anyone is encouraged to report any observed or suspected fraud, waste or misuse of City resources through the Fraud & Waste Hotline online or by phone at 1-866-840-5837. Reports are anonymous - you are not required to provide your personal information. Information received through the Hotline is only accessible to the City Auditor (or designate). Please remember, reports should be made in good faith.
• Stop it
Your report may stop the activity.
Fraud and Waste Hotline Report Management Process
The Fraud and Waste Hotline Program is approved by Council
Ways to report
The Fraud & Waste Hotline allows anyone to make a report 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Hotline is operated independently by a third party and is accessible by phone or online.
- Report an Incident Online or Phone: 1-866-840-5837
When you make a report you will be given a tracking number and password for your report. This tracking number can be used to follow the progress of your report, to submit further information or see the action taken. You may be presented with additional questions regarding your report via the online report.
To report fraud or theft which is not related to the City of Winnipeg contact the following agencies:
|Type of report||Organization||Online reporting/information|
|Employment Income Assistance||www.gov.mb.ca/fs/eia/|
|Scams - for example:
Email & text scams
|Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre||www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm
or phone Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre at: 1‑888‑495‑8501
|Income tax fraud||Canada Revenue Agency||www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency.html|
|Concerns for children
||In Winnipeg contact All Nations Coordinated Response Network (ANCR) at 204-944-4200. Outside the city of Winnipeg, call 1-866-345-9241.
|Abuse of disability benefits||Winnipeg Civic Employees’ Benefits Program||wcebp.ca|