Volunteering with Community Services
Volunteer positions are not available for Fine Option program.
Winnipeg Public Library
Winnipeg Public Library's volunteer needs fluctuate and placements may not be immediately available.
For more information on openings and areas of need, please visit Winnipeg Public Library's website.
- Homebound Library Service: As part of our Homebound Library Service, volunteers aged 18+ deliver Library material to individuals unable to visit a Winnipeg Public Library branch due to illness or disability and who do not have someone to access a library on their behalf. Volunteers use their own vehicle to provide this service. To learn more about the Homebound Library Service call 204-619-2916.
- West End Library Learning (WELL) program: Volunteer tutors aged 18+ assist the instructor in our Adult Literacy Program – a program for learners to improve their basic reading, writing, speaking, and math skills. For information on volunteering as a tutor call the program coordinator at 204-793-7705 or email email@example.com.
- English Conversation Groups: Volunteers aged 18+ lead weekly groups in basic English conversation. Commitments of up to 3 months are required. Call 204-986-6689 for questions about these groups.
Volunteers at Animal Services perform a valuable service by spending time with the dogs that are waiting for someone to take them to a permanent home! In doing so, these animals receive the TLC they deserve, become or continue to be accustomed to being with people and are easier to adopt out.
If youth are under 16 years (14 or 15 year-olds) they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also a volunteer.
How to Apply for a Volunteer Position
1. Fill out the Volunteer Application Forms
Interested applicants are asked to fill out the following documents:
- Volunteer Application
- Parental Consent Form (Note: Volunteer applicants aged 14-17 years must have their parent/guardian complete this form)
2. Submit Your Completed Application Forms
Mail or Drop-off:
City of Winnipeg
Community Services Department
2-395 Main Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3N8
Fax your completed form to 204-986-3706.
After You Apply for a Volunteer Position
After you apply for a volunteer position with the City of Winnipeg's Community Services Department, your application will be sent to the appropriate Divisional Program Lead.
Volunteer applicants will be interviewed and assessed when there is a position available. Please note that the Volunteer Screening process and Criminal Record Check may take up to 6 weeks to complete.
1. Screening Interview
Applicants will be called for a screening interview upon receipt of a completed volunteer application, and when there is a position available.
2. Criminal Record Check
Following a successful screening interview, a Criminal Record Check (with a Vulnerable Sector Screening request) satisfactory to the City of Winnipeg will be required. View details on the Criminal Record Check process.
All applicants for Animal Services must provide the Community Services Department with a copy of their Criminal Record Check Certificate. Applicants must bring the original copy of the Criminal Record Check Certificate to the Community Services Department; a copy of the Criminal Record Check Certificate will be made and the original returned to the applicant.
Winnipeg Public Library will reimburse an applicant for their Criminal Record Check when a volunteer placement has been offered. As such, the Library requires and will keep the original copy of the Criminal Record Check certificate. Criminal Record checks that were not initiated by the Library will not be subject to reimbursement.
3. Volunteer Placement
Once the screening interview and Criminal Record Check is complete, the applicant's name will be forwarded to the Program Lead who is responsible for coordinating and scheduling volunteers for their respective positions. The applicant will be contacted by the Program Lead and provided with information concerning their placement, orientation, supervision, evaluation and scheduled hours.
For More Information
Email us or call 311.