Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
What’s Your Residential Street Snow Zone?
311 City Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

What is 311?

311 is an easy-to-remember telephone number that you can use to get information about City of Winnipeg services or programs or to make a request for service. Just one call will connect you with highly-trained Customer Service Representatives (CSRs) ready to answer your questions or provide assistance in requesting a service from the City.

How do I connect with the Contact Centre?

You can access our citizen inquiry service in any of the following ways:
Phone: 311
Fax: 311
Toll free: 1-877-311-4WPG
TTY: 204-986-1311
Canada Post Mail: c/o 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB R3B 1B9

When is the Contact Centre open?

The 311 Contact Centre is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Can I call 311 from my cell phone?

Yes. If you cannot get through on your cell phone, please contact your cell phone service provider directly.

Can I call using my TTY phone?

Yes. Please dial 204-986-1311 to reach a Customer Service Representative specially trained for TTY. Calling from out of town? Please call collect 204-986-1311.

Is there a fee?

311 and its related toll-free 800 number, 1-877-311-4WPG(4974) are free of charge; however, please beware that your wireless carrier will charge for the minutes used during the call according to your contract.

If you are calling from an MTS phone booth the normal .50 fee will apply.

Is there a 311 Mobile App?

Yes. The City of Winnipeg launched a 311 mobile app that allows people to connect with City services while on the go. Visit for more information on the app.

Is there a 311 Online Service?

Yes. Winnipeg 311 is more than a phone number. It’s also an online resource that offers more ways to get information and access City services. Visit for more information on the online service.

What is the difference between 311 and 911?

911 is the number to call in case of emergency. 311 Is the number to call to obtain information and access to non-emergency City of Winnipeg services. Learn more about 911.

Can I access our emergency service by dialing 311?

No. In the case of a police, fire or medical emergency, you must call 911. In the interest of public safety, if you call 311 with a request for emergency service you will be advised to hang up and call 911.

Should I report police non-emergencies to 311?

You should continue to report any police non-emergencies to 204-986-6222, e.g. minor fender benders, etc. Learn more about reporting non-emergencies.

If 911 is busy can I call 311?

No. In the case of a police, fire or medical emergency, you must call 911. In accordance with the ruling of the Canadian-Radio and Television Commission of November, 2004, if you call 311 with a request for emergency service you will be advised to hang up and call 911 directly.

Does every service request have a tracking number?

Yes. When you request a service, the Customer Service Representative will provide you with the unique reference number.

Can I track my service request online?

Yes. When submitting your request, the CSR will ask if you want to track your request online. If you do, you must provide your name and email address to associate your information to your request. You can then use your reference number and email address to track the status of your reference number online. If you are not able to or don’t want to track your request online, you can contact 311 directly for follow up at any time.

How long do I wait before calling back to follow-up?

When you place your initial request for service, the CSR will provide you with the length of time (e.g. 2 days) for the completion of your request. Should the service not be completed within the timeframe provided, please feel free to contact 311 again. Using your unique reference number, the CSR can track the status of your request. Please note that due to privacy legislation, the CSR cannot provide any information on your request without a reference number.

Do I have to give my name when I call 311?

Only information required to successfully complete the request will be asked for during the call.

Will my personal information be shared?

The 311 Contact Centre's operations are governed by The Freedom of Information and Personal Privacy Act of the Government of Manitoba. Only information required to successfully complete the request will be asked for during the call.

Is my personal information secure?

Yes, your information is protected by the same level of security as all information used by the City of Winnipeg.

Will my call be recorded?

Yes, all calls received by the Contact Centre are recorded for quality assurance and training purposes.

Is service available in any other language?

The 311 Contact Centre will provide service in both official languages. Our Centre also has access to an extensive list of city staff prepared to assist in interpretation in many other languages.

Who do I call if I have a complaint about the service I receive?

Our CSR's are trained to provide excellent quality services to our customers. However, in the unfortunate circumstance that our CSRs were not able to provide the service you may ask to speak to the Supervisor on duty. Written complaints can be directed to the Contact Centre, c/o 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB R3B 1B9, or you may contact .

Who can I contact if I have questions about how my personal information is being collected, used or shared?

If you have questions or concerns about the collection, use or sharing of your personal information, please contact the Access and Privacy Office by emailing .

Your personal information is being collected under the authority of s.36(1)(b) of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. This information will be used to complete the request that you have submitted to 311 and for 311 service quality assurance, training and monitoring purposes and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. If you have any questions about the collection of this information, contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail to City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9, or by telephone at 311.

Last update: February 11, 2019
Track a Service Request
Search City Services
Use the search box below to find information you are looking for.
View the Neighbourhood Map to search city services.
Make the Right Call
  • Emergency calls:
    Call 9‑1‑1
  • Police non-emergency calls:
  • City Services: 3‑1‑1