Committee of Community Members
The City of Winnipeg’s Welcoming Winnipeg Committee of Community Members is responsible for:
- Reviewing Welcoming Winnipeg requests and providing recommendations for consideration by the Executive Policy Committee (EPC) and then final decision by Council;
- Hosting delegations/community presentations;
- Providing input and advice to Indigenous Relations to align existing and newly created processes related to creating new, adding to or removing/renaming historical markers and place names.
The seven members of the committee from the community are:
- Robert Gendron
- Mabel Horton
- Albert McLeod
- Reanna Merasty
- Dr. Erin Millions
- Angie Mojica
- Raymond Sokalski
Additionally, Ericka Fritzsche has been designated as an ex-officio member by the Mayor.
Terms of Reference and guiding values and principles
The Terms of Reference and the following Welcoming Winnipeg guiding values and principles will direct the committee members’ decision making. They will consider if requests:
- Ultimately achieve a balanced perspective/story;
- Honour Indigenous peoples as the original peoples of this land and the contemporary context in which Indigenous peoples continue to have relationship with this land;
- Promote Indigenous reclamation of land, space and/or language;
- Offer an educational opportunity; or,
- Support telling the complete history of Winnipeg.
The Committee had their inaugural meeting on August 26, 2020 and met three more times before the end of the year:
Key priorities of these meetings included becoming familiar with the Welcoming Winnipeg initiative, reviewing and finalizing the draft Terms of Reference, providing input on the Welcoming Winnipeg Request Form and considering two outstanding renaming requests that pre-date the policy.
The first committee meeting in 2021 was held on January 7.
Apply to be a member of the committee
Recruitment for this committee is now closed. The next recruitment is anticipated for Fall 2022.