- The Learn to Skate program offers 10 weeks of lessons with an emphasis on progressive skill development and fun.
- Trained instructors teach skating skills using a variety of activities and games in a non-competitive environment.
View skating lessons in the Leisure Guide Skating brochure.
To participate in the Learn to Skate program, please note the following:
- Sharpen hockey or figure skates prior to the start of lessons.
- All children should wear mitts or gloves. Layers of warm clothing are recommended. Snow suits are appropriate for preschool-aged children.
- Skate bars are not permitted.
- A helmet is mandatory for all participants, including parents participating in Parent & Cub programs. A proper-fitting CSA approved helmet is recommended. Bicycle helmets are not permitted.
- Please note one parent is required for each child registered in Parent & Cub (1:1 ratio).
- We strongly recommend that helmets be equipped with a face mask.
- Classes run once per week for 30 minutes with the exception of Junior Power, Intermediate Power, Senior/Advanced Power, and Hockey Skills (45 minutes).
- Registration will not be permitted after the third class of each session.
- To ensure enrollment in the correct level, please refer to the flow chart in the Leisure Guide Skating brochure.
- City of Winnipeg public skating is available at 13 arenas.
- Times and dates are subject to change without notice at all locations.
- We strongly recommend the use of a proper-fitting, CSA-approved hockey helmet with a face mask for all age groups.
- All public skating is provided free of charge.
- Only figure or hockey skates are permitted on the ice.
- Due to safety and liability concerns, we are unable to accommodate wheelchairs, strollers, sleds or toboggans on the ice during public skating.
- Hockey sticks and pucks are not allowed during public skating.
Schedule – Winter 2020
294 Bertrand St.
|Tuesdays||6:45–7:45 pm||Jan 7–Mar 3|
|Saturdays||2–3 pm||Jan 4–Mar 7|
709 Keewatin St.
|Sundays||3:30–4:30 pm||Jan 5–Mar 8|
|Thursdays||5:30–6:30 pm||Jan 2–Mar 5|
1377 Clarence Ave
|Mondays*||7:15–8:15 pm||Jan 6–Mar 9|
Charlie Gardiner (formerly Pioneer)
799 Logan Ave.
|Saturdays||12:30–1:30 pm||Jan 4–Mar 14|
535 Oakdale Dr.
|Sundays*||2:15–3:15 pm||Jan 5–Mar 8|
|Wednesdays*||6:45–7:45 pm||Jan 8–Mar 11|
910 Maginot St.
|Thursdays||6:30–7:30 pm||Jan 2–Mar 5|
1410 Rothesay St.
|Fridays||5:45–6:45 pm||Jan 3–Mar 13|
625 Osborne St.
|Sundays||3–4 pm||Jan 5–Mar 8|
1111 Wall St.
|Sundays||Noon–1 pm||Jan 5–Mar 15|
St. James Civic Centre
2055 Ness Ave.
|Mondays*||11 am–Noon||Jan 6–Mar 16|
|Saturdays||2:15–3:15 pm||Jan 4–Mar 14|
St. Vital Centennial
580 St. Anne’s Rd.
|Sundays||12:15–1:15 pm||Jan 5–Mar 8|
901 Kimberly St.
Transcona East End CC
517 Pandora Ave E
|Sundays*||1:30–2:30 pm||Jan 5–Mar 15|
|Saturdays*||6:30–7:30 pm||Jan 4–Mar 14|
|* Public skating cancelled: January 18 & 19 (Transcona East End CC), February 2, 5 & 9 (Eric Coy), February 16 (Transcona East End CC), February 17 (Century, St. James Civic Centre)|
Last update: January 2, 2020