A Neighbourhood Dog Park in Downtown Winnipeg
In July 2016, a portion of Bonnycastle Park on Assiniboine Avenue was selected as the site for the Winnipeg's Downtown off-leash dog park. View the concept drawing here.
Upon further stakeholder consultation, it was determined that some design revisions need to be made and as a result this project has been delayed. At this time, the City is continuing to consult with stakeholders and is working to finalize the design.
An open house was held on Wednesday, February 24, 2016.
A dog park in the downtown area is important to:
- Build strong community ties by fostering social opportunities for dogs & people.
- Encourage downtown living.
- Help make dog ownership in the downtown more accessible.
- Create a designated space for dogs to safely exercise and play with other dogs.
- Provide an amenity to attract people to the city's core.