On September 26, 2023, at approximately 8:35 p.m., a red Audi A4 was travelling at a high rate of speed eastbound on Fermor Avenue approaching St. Mary's Road. The Audi entered the intersection on a red light, narrowly missing other motorists. An adult female pedestrian was crossing from the south side of Fermor Avenue on the east side of the intersection when she was struck, causing fatal injuries. The driver of the vehicle fled the scene.
Members of the Winnipeg Police Service responded and located the vehicle and suspect in the 1000 block of Beaverhill Boulevard.
Members of the Traffic Division have assumed the investigation.
Kelvin Mark LAVALLEE, 25, of Winnipeg, has been arrested and charged with the following:
- Operation of a conveyance causing death while impaired to any degree by BAC or drug or combination of both
- Dangerous operation of a conveyance causing death
- Fail to stop at the scene of an accident knowing that or reckless as to whether they were involved in an accident causing death
- Within 2 hours of ceasing to operate, a conveyance is impaired with BAC equal to or over 80 mgs
- Drive without license or with an invalid license
Anyone with information, including video or dash camera video footage regarding this incident, is asked to contact Traffic Division investigators at 204-986-7085 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477 (TIPS) or online at winnipegcrimestoppers.org